These toasts are incredibly easy to put together for a family brunch or a regular weekday morning. It’s also a perfect meal to invite your little ones to help with (or make on their own, depending on their age).
Have you heard the phrase, “eat the rainbow”? It’s a catchy way of inspiring us to eat a vast array of colors because the color of the food you eat has a lot to do with the nutritional value it contains. So, to ensure you get a variety of vitamins and minerals, you should be eating lots of colorful fruits and vegetables.
Here is a quick breakdown to what each color means:
- Red improves heart health, supports joints, and improves memory.
- Orange boosts eye health and promotes collagen growth.
- Yellow includes ascorbic acid (vitamin c) which helps with overall immunity.
- Green detoxifies, fights free radicals, and promotes overall balance in the body.
- Blue and Purple improve mineral absorption, is a powerful antioxidant and contains anti-aging benefits.
- White supports healthy bones, the circulatory system, and arterial functions.
Give these Rainbow Ricotta Toasts a try, and then mix it up! Use an avocado instead of ricotta and yellow pepper instead of the egg to make it vegan. Sub out the sourdough with a gluten free toast. Use your own favorite veggies, or what you have left over in your fridge. Just remember to make it colorful!